Posted: October 2, 2015 Contributor: PRJKT RUBY
5 Surprising Facts About Your Reproductive System
After years of living with a uterus, you may feel you know all there is to know about the female reproductive system. But just when you thought you learned all you needed to in sex ed, here are some facts that might surprise you!
- After you ovulate, your egg is fertile for between 24 to 48 hours and a man’s sperm can survive in the female body for 48 hours. There have actually even been documented cases of live sperm surviving in the female reproductive system for eight days after intercourse!
- One breast is always larger than the other. Most of the time, it goes without notice but it is typical for breast size to be slightly mismatched.
- Some women can be born with two uteruses or two vaginas and have no idea until they notice abnormal menstruation or excessive bleeding.
- You are born with all the eggs you will ever have in a lifetime which can be anywhere from thousands to millions however, only about 300 to 400 of these eggs will mature and be released for fertilization.
- You ovaries take turns each month releasing eggs.